Friday, June 13, 2008

Cloverfield (2008)


Cloverfield
-
As my first act of "Blogger God", I shall review what is possibly the most fun film of the year. I have seen the film three times total (two in theatre, one at home), and I love almost everything about it. Almost...
-
But first the pros. I'm fine that the characters had little development (who would have time to reminisce in this situation). If you have a problem with that kinda stuff, then you're ridiculous (no offense). The set design is perfection. The monster is horrifying. The ending...somewhat disappointing. Not the depressing final scene (how appropriately un-Hollywood); I actually enjoyed that a lot. But, seriously, these people are machines!!! I mean, a stake to the heart could kill a vampire, but not the flirty, venerable, conflicted Beth...
-
In the end, that is all that bothered me. This exercise in creative thinking mixes the uncertainty of the Blair Witch Project with the pure fun of Godzilla, adding a little of The Mist's cynicism. Watch it now!
-
My grade: A-

No comments: